Thursday, September 14, 2006

The Lost Art of Conversation

Great article in today's newspaper about reviving our conversation skills. Two favorite parts: the part about FDR saying shocking things to see whether people were paying attention and this-- If you want good conversation, Shepherd said, "Find a place where you are not interrupted, where you can give it some time, where people are not performing for other people, where there's this sense of safety. I do think having food and sitting down is a good idea." A great place for two people to hold a conversation is during a car trip. "A conversation or a connection is not just about you and the other person. It's about this third thing between you _ a relationship. When you take your eyes off each other for a while, you can put your eyes on the relationship." Let's work on that today. Who's up for going out to eat or a road trip?

5 Comments:

Blogger Samantha said...

Oooh oooh, pick me, pick me!! Dh and I love going out to eat without the kids, or for long car rides with the kids (especially when they fall asleep) ... we have some of our best conversations there. :)

9/14/2006 11:35:00 AM  
Blogger amanda said...

I so agree! The hubster and I do lots of great talking in the car and that probably explains why we head out exploring on the weekends so much.

9/14/2006 12:51:00 PM  
Blogger Janus Torrell said...

road trip! oh yeah!

I am used to people not actually listening to what I say, when people ask how I am I say "Rotten" just to see how often they go..good good...and walk off.

9/14/2006 01:24:00 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

You're so right....road trips encourage conversation. I've had some very enlightening moments in the car with my adult boys. And hubby and I had good conversations on our vacation this summer as well.

9/14/2006 02:54:00 PM  
Blogger Tammany said...

You know.....hubby and I always talked better in the car. And even with the end of our marriage possibly in sight shortly down the road, our conversation is getting a lot better. Interesting. Thanks for posting that!

9/16/2006 08:18:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home