Monday, September 11, 2006

I'm Not Listening!

My eleven-year old sat down on the couch with me Friday and began to argue. He didn't want to go to his dad's house. He was working himself into a full-on rant, and I said, "You have to go; it's not optional." He is usually a pretty cooperative kid (after the initial power struggle), but this time, the fingers went in the ears and the "La la la la, I'm not listening" commenced. I kept knitting. I was working on lace, for heaven's sake, and I wasn't about to be distracted. There wasn't any point in arguing. Then I noticed it was quiet on the other end of the couch. Here's what I saw: I couldn't resist taking the picture. You'll notice the fingers are still in the ears. He'll be mad if he sees it, but what eleven-year old boy reads knitblogs? We're safe. I took the time he was sleeping to pray that God would help me to step outside my usual "you'll do it because I said so" in a screechy voice mode. And I knit. A few minutes later, he opened his eyes and said, "What time is Dad picking me up?" Sometimes all a guy (and his mom) needs is a nap. Added note: As soon as I posted this, the phone rang. It was the boy-son telling me he has a fever and needs to come home. I always seem to miss the cues and then go back after he's sick and say, "Oh, THAT'S why he was crabby!"

7 Comments:

Blogger amanda said...

too funny! i know i can use a nap right now :o)

9/11/2006 12:29:00 PM  
Blogger sue said...

Your son must have worn himself out from arguing with you and really needed that nap. I am sure that most people are cranky when they need a sleep, I know I am. I hope he is feeling better now.

9/11/2006 05:45:00 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

That's a sweet picture, and it doesn't matter HOW old they get, they still want their mama when they are sick.

9/11/2006 05:50:00 PM  
Blogger Janus Torrell said...

praying for his quick recovery

9/11/2006 11:01:00 PM  
Blogger Dorothy said...

I always think that the kids are trying to get their way before I start to even think about considering that they may be sick.

Hope he gets well soon. I'll send a prayer his way.

9/11/2006 11:35:00 PM  
Blogger ZhiWen said...

It's a very cute picture indeed.. poor kid, I hope he gets better soon!

9/12/2006 05:52:00 AM  
Blogger Bonzairn said...

I love this post. I struggle with both of these issues - not praying BEFORE the child gets all dramatic and then not realizing that the drama is from them not feeling well. DUH!

9/13/2006 04:30:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home