Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Thought for Today

I've been thinking today about a quote from the modern-day martyr Jim Elliot. He once said, "Wherever you are, be 100% there."* It sounds almost cheesy in its simplicity, but it's for me. So often I'm present physically but absent mentally or spiritually--stewing or planning or imagining. I pay half attention to my life and wonder why it's passing me by. Just for today then, moment by moment, I will strive to be 100% present. I may find that I like it. Doubtful, but I'll try anyway. *As I looked for this quote on the internet, I found this article. It fits perfectly with Elliot's thoughts. Who am I? Why am I here? If I know that, then it's easier to be present in my life.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Ellen said...

Great thought for the day!

I spend a lot of time thinking about how to be 100% there and about how often I fail. I think that for a human being this is one of the simplest things to say, but hardest things to do.

When I used to work in a high school, I used to talk to my students about this very thing; it kind of comes down to presence and mindfulness.

Very hard to pull off!

I do not mean this to be humorous when I say that I've actually learned a lot about being 100% there from my dog. I suspect that one of the reasons human beings like and admire dogs is that they really are creatures who are 100% there. All the time. Our species isn't as good at it.

But I'll quit rambling. You are so right. If we lived our lives "100% there," the experience would be so radically different and so much more full of texture and depth.

It's a real challenge.

8/29/2006 12:36:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home