Monday, August 28, 2006

Is it just me?

Or was Pirates of the Caribbean part 2 a dud? I took the kids to see it yesterday, and I remember at one point feeling as though I had been conscripted to serve Davy Jones forever--devolving one barnacle (ew, ew, ew) at a time into nothing. I had to watch through half-closed eyes most of the time not to see the disgusting crewmates on the Flying Dutchman (gag, retch). I thought the plot lagged, the characters didn't connect, and the twists seemed contrived. The redeeming qualities were the goofy pirate duo (is that Gareth from BBC's The Office with the glass eye that keeps popping loose?), the voodoo priestess, Geoffrey Rush (even though on screen for only one second--LOVE that man), the three-way sword fight, and last, and most--Commodore Norrington. Even drunk and filthy, he's hot. It's cleary a segue movie to part three, and I suppose that I'll have to see it because I can't resist a man in uniform--even if it's dirty (the uniform, not the movie).

3 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

I loved Pirates 1, and found the second kind of disappointing. I thought the Voodoo chick was a bit disturbing and hard to follow, and hated the ending with Will thinking his girlie had the hots for Jack Sparrow. I will say though, Johnny Depp is so perfect in the role, I'll watch it again just to see him :)

8/28/2006 06:34:00 PM  
Blogger AmyArtisan said...

I agree that it was just biding time till #3.

8/28/2006 07:03:00 PM  
Anonymous Ellen said...

Lorinda, you could not be more right. That movie dragged so much that I felt like I'd aged four years before I got out of there.

Unlike Lisa, though, I thought the Voodoo priestess scenes were pretty much the best thing about the entire movie.

Thumbs down. And what a bummer, too, after a great first Pirates, eh?

8/28/2006 08:00:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home