Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Inspiration comes in many forms

My family has the coolest reunions. One thing we did this year at the reunion is have a museum of family things. Here's a picture of the quilt my great-grandmother (Grammy Golding) made as a wedding gift for the first child in the family to marry (my Grampy Otis). Then he and my Nana gave it to their first child to marry (Aunt Eunice and her husband Chuck), who then in turn gave it to their first child to marry (cousin Sharon and her husband Terry). Aside from being used as a paint drop cloth at some point, it's still in wonderful shape. I'm inspired to knit a log cabin quilt following the fade from light to dark in this quilt. It isn't as obvious in person, but the flash made the light colors pop. In front of the quilt is my great-aunt Blanche's wedding dress. It is more than seventy-five years old, and still in beautiful condition. Lillian and Burn's daughter Sharon (the other Sharon) brought the dress and her mom's wedding shoes.

2 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

What a cool idea! I love family traditions and am working on creating a few of my own. The quilt is a wonderful tradition---I'm thinking of a wedding shawl or something. Last year I did knit Christmas stockings.
Glad you're having (or that you had) a nice vacation.

8/22/2006 01:58:00 PM  
Anonymous Ellen said...

The dress and the quilt are just wonderful.

Thanks for allowing us to be part of your family traditions!

8/22/2006 06:09:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home