Wednesday, July 26, 2006

À la recherche du temps perdu

I had a Proustian moment this evening as I made supper. Marcel Proust is the writer whose snack of tea and madeleines prompted his theory of involuntary memory. Trying to wade through his books, either in French or English, would definitely cause one to be In Search of Lost Time (hence the post title). I digress; I took a handful of sunflower seeds and popped them in my mouth. (I do believe those are the food of the gods.) I was transported back to one of my earliest "food" memories--buying hot sunflower seeds from a nut cart and then enjoying them as we walked around the mall. I was in grade two or three at the time. Proust was right, something as simple as tea and cookies can send us back in time to a special place or a special someone. It made me wonder, what is your earliest food memory? Or your fondest? Dish. I'll get the tea and madeleines.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
And then when you're done sharing, pop over to Lynne's blog and take a walk down "favorite childhood books" memory lane.

5 Comments:

Blogger Tammany said...

I think mine would have to be Kraft Macaroni and Cheese. I don't remember the first time I had it. I just know that everytime I didn't like something, I would ask for mac and cheese instead. I still love it.
BTW, the throat is much better, thank you! I believe I am fully recovered from the journey and am left wondering.....what should I do with 3 balls of Noro Silk Garden?
Take care!

7/26/2006 06:11:00 PM  
Blogger AmyArtisan said...

Hmm...what to share...a family favorite summer dinner consists of a chicken/rice/celery/peas salad, canteloupe, & bran muffins. Every time I have that combo I remember the first time we had it - early 1980s when we lived in CA, Dad was working late with the MX missile program so we took this menu as a picnic to have dinner with him at his office on base. In my mind it is the quintessential summer meal - in fact, I've made the menu many times to share as part of the "meals for new moms" ministry at church.

7/26/2006 08:01:00 PM  
Anonymous Susan said...

Mmm...Chocolate mint ice cream after, of all things, Chinese lessons in Palo Alto. I was about 7 years old. My mom was always putting my sister and me into lessons of some sort--but we always had fun food afterwards. Mom also was one of the first fans of McDonald's. I remember doing cheeseburgers and vanilla shakes when the sign under the arches said something like 300 sold! S.N. P.S. Instead of slogging through Proust, try "Mme Proust and the Kosher Kitchen" by the Canadian author Kate Taylor. Great read! S.N.

7/26/2006 08:19:00 PM  
Blogger Tammany said...

Thanks for the tips on the Noro. Socks are intriguing. I'll have to check that out! I'm done with scarves for the moment!
I noticed that we have some fave books in common. Have you read Sorcery and Cecilia along with its sequel The Grand Tour by Wrede and Stevemeyer? They combine the romance of Jane Austen with a little magic. They're great fun!
Take care! ~T

7/26/2006 09:51:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about the scary foods your parent made you eat...like my mom's scambled eggs. Sunday morning I'd be in the bathroom hiding and then have to eat they cold...ahhh, the memories.

OSSP

7/26/2006 10:13:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home