Sunday, July 02, 2006

Fan "Sick"-tion

I have a friend who is big into fan-fiction. Here's Wikipedia's definition: Fan fiction is a broadly defined term for fiction about characters or settings written by fans of the original work, rather than the original creators. Fan fiction usually describes works which are uncommissioned by the owner of the work, and not professionally published. Fan fiction is defined against original fiction, which exists with its own discrete universe, and against canon works within the universe. Most fan fiction writers assume that their readers have knowledge of the canon universe their works are based in. One of the broadest definitions of fan fiction is simply unauthorized written work based on a published one. I have visited fanfiction.net once or twice and found most of the stories to be poorly written and boring but innocuous. Basically the fantasies of romantic or horny teenagers. Not a whole lot different than my own fiction, which is nestled safely on my hard drive and not cluttering up anyone else's bandwidth. I stopped by there again yesterday and scrolled to the fan-fic for the Chronicles of Narnia. There are 52 pages of story titles to choose from. I didn't make it past page one, and I'll tell you why. Some of the stories are about girls from our world stumbling into Narnia and falling in love with Peter or Edmund or both. I can dig that; count me in. I can even scroll past the titles claiming a love between Lucy and Mr. Tumnus. Now personally, Goat Boy never turned my head when I watched Saturday Night Live, but I can grimace and move on. What turned my stomach completely and caused me to click away as fast as I could were these words Warning for sexual content and incest.. Several stories presented a forbidden love between Peter and Susan. The authors' disclaimer: Don't like, don't read, don't flame. Simple, no? Excuse me? EXCUSE ME? I'm grinding my teeth while I type this. Don't flame you? You take the best, most innocent and lovely books ever written and make them about INCEST and you don't want me to flame you? What, spent too many of your teenage years reading V.C. Andrews? Can you only get off if it's about rape or "forbidden love?" Hello? I was a social worker. Incest isn't sexy or pretty or something kinky stories are made of. It's degrading and scarring and ugly. It's three-year olds knowing way too much about taking off their clothes. It's ten-year olds abusing cats and wildlife because they need somewhere to vent their rage. It's twelve-year old girls who've slept with hundreds of men for drugs so they can forget what was done to them. C. S. Lewis, that best and brightest of hearts, that modern day prophet would weep for you. You completely missed the point of the Chroncles of Narnia. I, whose soul is not as big as his can only say this: Damn you for writing a story like that. Damn you. I'll not flame you. I'll leave you to the flames to come.

1 Comments:

Blogger Bonzairn said...

Well Said!

7/02/2006 08:30:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home