Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Sock it to me, Baby!

All day I've posted like the Madwoman of Chaillot. And I've yet to share my biggest surprise: I am knitting a sock! It's true. Didn't care about socks. Didn't like socks. Necessary evil. Thought people who knit them a tad off. Little by little they began to infiltrate my world. I started to take notice. Maybe it was Astrid who started it all with her cheery emails and Addis on sale. Or was it my bevy of secret pals, sock knitters all, who called me to the next level? The straw that broke the camel's back was this. Mother's Day I did what any sane mother does, I ran away from my family. After I scored cool merch. (I'm not as cold as I sound, I took one of my kids and dropped off presents at MIL's) I went to Knitche to work on my newest project and arrived as the Sock Club was finishing up. My new friend Michelle arrived with her sweet-pea of a daughter, and little M and ABC disappeared to amuse themselves and eat cookies. Michelle and I sat and chatted, and before long she took out the sock she was working on. Then one of the LYS girls (Claire) came and worked on her to-be-felted Koala, and last but not least, Kathy the owner showed up. She is designed a DARLING pig out of pink Malabrigo to be felted. I can't wait to see it, try it and share it. As I got ready to leave after a pleasant hour or so of knits and chats, a patron of the store came in a donated a bag of sock yarn to be used for charity. My LYS actually knits teddy bears for charity, but I jumped in and offered to take a couple fo skeins and give it a try. Hear the ice cracking? There's a thaw coming. Long story somewhat shorter, I ended up back at Knitche two days later and fell off the "use what you have" wagon. I justified it (lamely) by telling myself I was learning something new. Kathy convinced me to start the traditional way--size 2 DPNs, top-down, Sally Melville's The Knitting Experience: The Purl Stitch Simple Socks pattern and Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock Yarn in Crazy Stripe. I raced home and started up. Here's my very first sock rib! And it's progression since then. Yes, I know there's a mistake. When I finished the ribbing, I was supposed to knit. I wasn't paying attention as well as I should have been at the ice rink waiting for my daughter to finish practice, and I knit on the wrong side. It looks like a band (of sorts), and I'm loathe to frog it because I fear I'll end up back at the start. So I'm calling it a design change--making it my own. Hopefully I can duplicate my mistake (oops, design change) on sock number two. And now without further ado (there's been plenty of that already), my first sock! Here's my sock knitter's starter kit! Charles wakes up to model the new sock. And here's my cute little sock in progress. I'm just as scared as you are, but I had to try it on! Be thankful I cropped out most of albino leg. And look what I have for sock number two! (I mean pair of socks number two; I promise I'll knit two of the same color first.)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Liz said...

I love the yarn for these socks!!
I have posted the images of the round felt bag for you on Flickr Here: http://www.flickr.com/groups/bubblehands/

Hope you can join the sock group also here: http://www.flickr.com/groups/sockheaven/

* You will need a Flickr account

5/21/2006 11:25:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home