Wednesday, May 03, 2006

The Seven Deadly Sins

I could try to list them, but I'd probably end up adding in some of the Seven Dwarves or Hear No Evil, See No Evil. I'm terrible with lists. Even watching the movie with Brad Pitt didn't help. I can't like him any more anyway. I digress, per usual. I think the 7DS is a manmade list (in fact I know it), because all sin is deadly. Specifically for me today is the sin that kills me and my relationships. My sin isn't pride, envy, gluttony, lust, anger, greed, sloth (there's even a website with merch, I'm not kidding: deadly sins). I'm not saying I haven't dabbled and outright wallowed in all of the above, but it doesn't quite fit any of those--except maybe sloth. I'm a procrastinator. Hang on, I'll finish this later . . . Just kidding, I always like to call it living in eternal time already, and I usually coast through life with little pain as a result of it. But yesterday I felt the brunt of my Scarlett O'Hara "I'll-think-about-it-tomorrow" lifestyle. I have big plans and great intentions of making all these gifts for people, and I start projects, but then like a bird get diverted to the next shiny thing. I so self-righteously said I'd make a gift for my friend's friend with cancer. I've been planning to, and the clock keeps ticking. Yesterday I learned that she'd slipped into a coma and her family has been called. The window of opportunity has shut, and my gift is left outside. My esteemed mother comforted me by saying maybe I can give it to someone else. She's right, I can, but it doesn't make it right. As Mr. Bennett responded to Lizzy in Pride and Prejudice, ``You must not be too severe upon yourself,'' replied Elizabeth. ``You may well warn me against such an evil. Human nature is so prone to fall into it! No, Lizzy, let me once in my life feel how much I have been to blame. I am not afraid of being overpowered by the impression. It will pass away soon enough.'' It will pass away soon enough, but maybe next time I'll procrastinate a little less.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home