Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Ring of Fire

I saw you today at the coffee shop. Nice looking, friendly smile, engaging and engaged. More married. I stopped looking once I saw the ring. No, stopped hoping, but continued watching. You spoke to all around you, captivating with a smile the barista who plays golf like you, the heavy-set woman who took the comfy chair. I rose to leave And in came the girls in their summer dresses. You began to fidget with that band of gold on your finger. Did it feel too tight? Was it choking you? I left before I saw where it ended--on your finger or in your pocket. I guess it doesn't matter. The damage is done. What had been the garrison is now the prison. What protected you and me and the summer girls lies in ruins and you don't even know it yet. A ring of gold is replaced by a ring of fire And we shall all be consumed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home