Tuesday, June 07, 2005

No one has worse grammar than me.

The other night a friend and I went to hear an acclaimed writer give a reading at our local bookstore. (Anderson's--the best!) After he spoke, he had a Q & A time with the audience. Someone asked him "What is the best advice you've ever gotten about writing?" He shared two things: write every day and scrap every sentence that you think is the greatest thing that's ever been written. Good advice. He continued to speak about his writing and said if he could write, anyone could. Then he said, "No one has worse grammar than me." My friend and I laughed. Startled, I realized we were the only ones laughing. Was it his joke on the audience? Or is it proof that editors are the ones who actually do the writing? A question for the ages.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home