Thursday, March 03, 2005

Playing God or Eyes Wide Shut

Read an article on a fellow blogger's site about a woman who terminated her pregnancy in the second trimester because her baby was diagnosed with a genetic defect. "I am fanatical on this issue. I believe that every woman is entitled to choose when and if to end a pregnancy. I also believe that to end a pregnancy like mine is to kill a fetus. Kill. I use that word very consciously and specifically. I have no regrets… I did not want to raise a genetically compromised child. I did not want my children to have to contend with the massive diversion of parental attention, and the consequences of being compelled to care for their brother after I died. I wanted a genetically perfect baby, and because that was something I could control, I chose to end his life." I find her comments even more chilling than someone who calls a fetus a clump of cells. She knowingly killed a helpless human being. That smacks of Mengele or Bundy. Her eyes are wide open. We are a generation of little gods running around, determining the life and death of other human beings. This woman mistakenly believes she has a right (bestowed by the universe or God or whomever) to kill other people. Show me where that one's written down. Maybe right next to the one that says you should commit adultery and steal other people's money. The antithetical ten commandments. Here's the reality, however. She can bluster. She can say she has no regrets, but she will, someday. It's impossible not to. God is God for a reason. He sees all things; he knows all things; he can do all things. We can't. We can see today and maybe a little bit of yesterday. We barely have enough power to get through this minute let alone an entire day. We certainly, even though we'd deny it, don't know everything. Therein lies the problem with playing God. It's a horrible responsibility when one is not omniscient, omnipresent or omnipotent. In the end it leaves one, such as the mother in question, withered and bitter because it's impossible to foresee all the possible outcomes of her decision. Her eyes are wide open, but ironically, they see nothing. The Bible says that the God of this world has blinded the minds of its inhabitants. When we play God, we stop being human. Then we have nothing left.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home